Pages

Monday, November 7, 2016

And I'm back in the game...

In 2008, a movie was released about a girl who was a bridesmaid in 27 weddings. I was 22 at the time and when I watched the film I didn’t realize how similar my life would be 8 years later. For the last 4 years, I’ve watched my friends and clients get engaged, married and have babies; sometimes not in that exact order, but you get it. I’ve been apart of so many exciting days in their lives and it’s been an honor to be chosen to create desserts for such special events. I’ve spent thousands of hours hand making displays (if you were ever at Michael’s and couldn’t find glitter, it was because I bought it all), searching high and low for the perfect cupcake liners and cake toppers and buying butter in quantities that drew some interesting facial expressions from people at Costco.

About a month ago, I announced that I had made the incredibly difficult decision to close my baking business. A business that I single handedly took from 1 client to hundreds, a business that I poured my heart and soul into for 4 years. Spending nights baking until 4am, taking my lunch breaks from work to finish decorating cupcakes or deliver an order (yes, I work 40 hours a week, I’ve become very accustomed to eating regularly), spending countless dollars on cake stands or butter or sprinkles or candy molds so I could stay competitive with the other incredibly talented bakers that share this town we call home.

In the past year I had lost site of why I started all of this in the first place. I had a moment when I lost my drive, I was exhausted, I over worked myself and decided I just couldn’t do it anymore. I wanted my weekends to catch up on sleep, to spend time with my family or to just sit in one place for longer than 7 minutes. But it wasn’t just about being tired, I was sad. Sad that I haven’t found my fairytale, sad that I’m always making cakes for other people’s weddings and wondering if and when I’ll have my own.

This past weekend I made a cake for a bridal shower, gluten free donuts for a Pinterest party that my adorable friend Heather hosted and cupcakes for a baby shower. It reminded me how much I truly love to bake. I love seeing the designs I have in my head come to life, the reactions I get from my clients, but most importantly I just love to bake.

A few very important people in my life, my amazing family and my friends, Lind Allred, Lindsey Moll, Ashley Khawsy (Owner of SmashBakes), Cyndi Mitchell (Owner of SweetFest), Carrie Buchanan (Owner of Bombshell Cupcakes) and countless others helped remind me why I started all of this 4 years ago. When I was just a girl with one Kitchen Aid mixer that called to OC Fair to tell them they must have made a mistake when they emailed me that I had won the cake division in 2013 because there was no way an amateur baker could possibly have won. To those people, THANK YOU. Thank you for helping me remember what this was all about in the beginning, bringing smiles to peoples faces one cupcake at a time.

I am extremely happy to say that Maegs Bakes Cakes will be officially reopening at the beginning of the new year. Until then I will continue to take orders but come the new year, you’ll see new designs, new desserts and how to’s so we can all call bring smiles to peoples faces with a little something sweet.

I can’t wait to see what the new year brings and again, thank you for everything. It’s because of you that I get to continue to do what I love.


No comments: