Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

DIY Tutorial: 'Alphabet Block' cake stand

I hope you have as much fun making your boxes as I did! Make sure to post pictures using Hashtag #MaegsBakesCakes so I can see your creations.

Supplies needed:
6”x6” USPS shipping box
Wrapping paper (I use brown kraft paper rolls from the Dollar Tree)
Mod podge
Glitter
Sponge brush
Letter Stencils (I’ll show you how to prepare these in the steps below)

Step 1: Build shipping boxes

Step 2: Wrap boxes with the kraft paper or whatever color you chose for your stand

Step 3: Cut stencils you made using the WordArt function in Microsoft Word. I made my letters 4 inches tall using the Arial font.

Step 4: Using one of the stencils from step 3, place it on the box in the center and start brushing the Mod Podge over the stencil so it sticks to the box. The first box I made was a little tricky but I found that if you hold the stencil with your left hand and brush with your right about an inch down at a time, it’s much easier. (Let each side dry 10-15 minutes before moving on to the next side to ensure the glitter is secure.)

Step 5: Mod Podge dries pretty quickly so you will want to get your layers of glitter on the box and fast as possible so you have an even coat of glitter. I let the box dry overnight and then I went around the edge of the box to clean up the holes and box edges.


My finished boxes front and back.


 Please feel free to email me at MaegsBakesCakes@yahoo.com with any questions. Xo






No comments: