Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

DIY: Cupcake Stand To-Go

DIY: Cupcake Stand To-Go

I love family birthdays, it gives me an excuse to create a fun cupcake display for the birthday boy or girl. When I set out to create my display I knew I needed one that could withstand a 5 hour drive and hold 60 cupcakes. Of course they were all way over priced.  I remembered a few years back my Cousin had shown me a trick she uses to create her multi tiered fruit displays for family parties. Her secret, USPS boxes, she keeps any boxes that are shipped to her house in anticipation of a repurposing project. Directions and pictures below...

Total Cost: $4

Supplies you’ll need to create your Cupcake Stand To-Go:
3 medium flat rate USPS boxes (I  keep any boxes that I receive in the mail)
Tape (I used clear masking tape)
Paint (I used acrylic paint from Michaels, $2.50 with my 40% off coupon)
Paint brush (any kind)
Scissors

Box #1 – Base
Box #2 – Top Tier
Box #3 – Middle and Bottom Tier

Step #1 – Place Box #1 flat down for your base
Step #2 – Build Box #2 and place ¾ of the way back on Box #1, place a small piece of tape, enough to hold the box down
Step #3 – While laying flat, measure Box #3 8 inches, the bottom half will be 4 inches; these are Tiers 2 & 3. Cut the box where you measured to make two half boxes.
Step #4 – Build the half boxes to make Tiers 2 & 3
Step #5 – Place the 8 inch Tier in front of the tallest Tier and tape enough to hold it in place.
Step #6 – Place the 4 inch Tier in front of the tallest Tier and tape enough to hold it in place.
Step #7 – Paint the stand (I painted 4 coats to be sure the tape was covered) and you’re ready to create your display!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial, it is Awesome!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing!

Cupcakes Stand said...

I love family birthdays, it gives me an excuse to create a fun cupcake display for the birthday boy or girl. When I set out to create my display I ... ccstand.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful idea.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for using USPS boxes for its unattended purposes. These are provided to you free of charge to be used in the mailing of product. This is why the Post Office can’t see a profit.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for showing us how to reuse boxes this way.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I made this actually wrapping the boxes in paper or foil so that when I was finished with the display, I still had my boxes to use for my sales on my business. Just unwrap them !